Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Greyed-out Thesaurus button in OpenOffice.org Writer after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)

9 Zulhijjah 1431H

After upgrading from Ubuntu 9.04 Karmic Koala to Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, i noticed that in OpenOffice Writer, the Thesaurus button is greyed-out. It's not working!

After some searching, i found the solution here:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512

Before discovering the solution, i was half-way done but couldn't put things together to overcome the problem all together.

1. Go here,
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries
to download the dictionary/thesaurus.

2. Open the OpenOffice Writer.

3. Click Tools > Extension Manager... .

4. Click the Add... button

5. Go to the location where the file was downloaded. Usually it's in the Download folder.

6. Select the downloaded file then click the Open button.

7. Allow the extension to be installed.

8. Click the Close button to close the Extension Manager window.

9. Close all running OpenOffice.org Writer to restart.

10. Open OpenOffice.org Writer. Give Writer a few seconds to load. Check whether the Thesaurus button is up and running.

2 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum.

    I started using Ubuntu after being introduced by my brother. Although I knew about Ubuntu (and other open-source software out-there), it was not until my brother installed it on my lappy...and the rest was history.

    Since I'm new to using Ubuntu, I have to work my way out on exploring the features and all. And how happy I was, after learning that Ubuntu offers the simplicity of an OS without sacrificing the usability.

    And thanks to you guys for sharing invaluable knowledge and how-tos of using the Ubuntu on this blog. You guys did a good job at that, and I expect more to come.

    Thanks.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikumsalam warahmatullah

    Thank you for your support. And thank you for sharing your early experience using Ubuntu.

    Try and error, learning new things, exploring, problems, search for solutions, dead ends, etc... are all to be expected when switching OS. It's unavoidable.

    I tried to avoid all that, which brought to my hesitation to switch OS. It was because of my thesis which was in the midst of writing. Switching OS made me worry about the unknown problems i might be facing. So everything had to be put on hold.

    Until it was, "Now or never!"

    At that, my husband told me to note my 'journey' with Ubuntu, hence this blog. He said should i have the same problem, i can always find it in the blog, and at the same time help others :). It's been 9 months since lappy was installed with Ubuntu :D

    What's posted here are things or problems we've stumbled into and tried solutions from others *and i hope it works for others too* :)

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete